Lassonde Mining Building
Rooftop view of the award-winning Goldcorp Mining Innovation Suite in the Lassonde Mining Building
Our research aims to understand the earth’s responses to human activity and to provide innovative solutions to real-world mining problems.
Take a peek at our state-of-the-art research facilities, including the Rock Fracture Dynamics Lab.
The Lassonde Institute of Mining gives students the benefit of an interdisciplinary learning environment at Canada’s leading research university.
Welcome to the Lassonde Institute of Mining
The Lassonde Institute of Mining is an interdisciplinary mining research institute at the University of Toronto.
It is a global leader in innovative research across the spectrum of mining activities, from exploration and extraction, to processing and metallurgy. It aims to attract and train future leaders in mining research and use its researchers' expertise to benefit the mining industry.
Institute personnel develop leading-edge solutions for the mining industry with a focus on sustainability. Comprised of an exceptional community of students, researchers, and engineers, the institute addresses the most important scientific problems facing mining. The institute brings together mining, civil, materials, and chemical engineers, as well as geophysicists, geologists, geochemists, and environmental scientists, who conduct research that crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries.
By training and cultivating the people who will help find solutions to the greatest contemporary mining problems, and by contributing the ideas and pioneering the practical technologies that will make the difference, the Lassonde Institute of Mining fulfills its obligation as a world-leading centre.
The Institute was created with the financial assistance of the Canadian minerals industry, and in particular Dr. Pierre Lassonde, as well as with support from the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.
Follow us on Twitter
- Celebrating 50 years since graduation with 6T6 #Mining Engineers! #uoftreunion @UofT @uoftengineering https://t.co/RmD3P3Zl1h May 27, 2016
- Mining Engineering Skule fashion from 1966 -- going strong 50 years after graduation! @SkuleAlumni @uoftengineering https://t.co/SdmxSWJQuS May 27, 2016
- We welcome back the #Mining Engineering Class of 6T6! @uoftengineering https://t.co/4oIMYCPLFE May 27, 2016
- Lassonde's @uoftmse PhD candidate Richard Elliott's new research on manganese ores for #steel industry: https://t.co/1v5gEFymMy #mining May 26, 2016
- Curriculum breadth & industry experience: Learn why students choose Lassonde Mineral Engineering: https://t.co/z0s6pHnoEl @uoftengineering May 24, 2016