Lassonde Mining Building
Rooftop view of the award-winning Goldcorp Mining Innovation Suite in the Lassonde Mining Building
Our research aims to understand the earth’s responses to human activity and to provide innovative solutions to real-world mining problems.
Take a peek at our state-of-the-art research facilities, including the Rock Fracture Dynamics Lab.
The Lassonde Institute of Mining gives students the benefit of an interdisciplinary learning environment at Canada’s leading research university.
Welcome to the Lassonde Institute of Mining
The Lassonde Institute of Mining is an interdisciplinary mining research institute at the University of Toronto.
It is a global leader in innovative research across the spectrum of mining activities, from exploration and extraction, to processing and metallurgy. It aims to attract and train future leaders in mining research and use its researchers' expertise to benefit the mining industry.
Institute personnel develop leading-edge solutions for the mining industry with a focus on sustainability. Comprised of an exceptional community of students, researchers, and engineers, the institute addresses the most important scientific problems facing mining. The institute brings together mining, civil, materials, and chemical engineers, as well as geophysicists, geologists, geochemists, and environmental scientists, who conduct research that crosses traditional disciplinary boundaries.
By training and cultivating the people who will help find solutions to the greatest contemporary mining problems, and by contributing the ideas and pioneering the practical technologies that will make the difference, the Lassonde Institute of Mining fulfills its obligation as a world-leading centre.
The Institute was created with the financial assistance of the Canadian minerals industry, and in particular Dr. Pierre Lassonde, as well as with support from the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.
Follow us on Twitter
- RT @OntMiningAssoc: Undergrad? @LUBhartiEngr @QueensEngineer @MiningUofT Solve a real-life challenge and win cash prizes #MINED2017 https:/… February 03, 2017
- RT @OntMiningAssoc: For mines to go deeper, we need your ideas! @LUBhartiEngr @QueensEngineer @MiningUofT here is your chance to win $15,00… February 03, 2017
- RT @OntMiningAssoc: #MINED2017 #Innovation Challenge seeks bright minds. Check it out @MiningUofT @GSM_LU @LaurentianU... https://t.co/UFzW… January 26, 2017
- RT @civmin: Lesley Warren, on microbes & environmentally friendly mines in the @northernminer https://t.co/nciqnEHABL | @UofTengineering @M… January 10, 2017
- RT @uoftengineering: Ancient microbes could offer insight on how to clean up wastewater from mining sites https://t.co/mHoOHP5u0K https://t… December 08, 2016